David Gray's Reviews > The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning

The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning by Taylor Larimore

Mar 27, 12

Read in March, 2012

I really wanted to like this book because as a financial planner I am a big fan of the philosophy behind the "Bogleheads." Named after John Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group, these people beleive in the power of controlling their own investments and seeking low-cost ways to do so.

The problems I had with the book were two-fold. The first is that since it is written by a team (with each section written by a different person) it felt uneven to me, with some sections more focused and better presented than others. Perhaps this is really a criticism of the editorial process this book underwent, but in any case I felt that some sections were great and other less-so. The second criticism (and this one really isn't their fault) is that it was published in 2009 so that much of the detail on taxes, limits, etc., are out-of-date. They do make efforts to explain whre to get more up-to-date information online.

Not a bad book, I just suspect that there are probably better ones that are easier to read (or more evenly presented) that are more current.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning.