Peggy's Reviews > Crossing the Tracks

Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: 1920-s, historical-fiction
Read in March, 2012

The main character, Iris, was a fifteen year old girl living in Atichson, Kansas in the year 1925. Her mother had died of tuberculosis when she was 5 and her father, after a string of girlfriends, had found someone special - Celeste. Iris was being sent away to work for the summer in Wellsford, Missouri and not very happy about it. "...my perfectly healthy father has mistaken me for a piece of furniture that doesn't fit in his house, his life, anymore."

This was a beautiful book. The writing was poetic and evocative: "The wind explores the morning, fills my sleeves, twirls up my skirt, ruffles the robins, then switches destinations, and so do we" and another of my favorites: "...feeling like no more than a speck in the middle of God's dirty thumbprint..."

I truly came to love the characters (except for the one or two we weren't supposed to love.) They were real and believable, dimensional, flawed yet wonderful. These were real people. I almost forgot this was a story, the people created out of the authors imagination - they could have been my neighbors, my friends, my relatives.

This was a subtle book, nuances expertly interwoven to give you a feel for the time, the people, the story of their lives in the year 1925.

And the ending was satisfying, not a fairy tale ending, but a hopeful and realistic ending.

I loved this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing the Tracks.