Marie's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc, 2012, young-adult
Read from March 27 to 29, 2012

In this book, the world's rotation begins to slow down. The days and nights stretch longer and longer. Havoc is wrecked on the world's food supply and birds begin dropping out of the sky. At first the world divides into two groups. Those that stick to clock time and adhere to the 24 hour rule or those who follow the movements of the sun. The concept of the book is striking and makes the reader think about how they would react in a similar situation. Some take to stock piling food and creating fall out shelters while others drift with their families waiting for the world to end.

Julia, the main character of the book, experiences the world's slowing as an 11 year old girl with two parents whose marriage is strained. Her experiences are not untypical for a girl taking her first steps towards becoming a teenager. She's lonely, struggles to find acceptance and often compares herself to the other girls in her class who make growing up look so easy. She's a likeable character, but I felt like the author sold herself short. She created such an interesting world, but tells it from the perspective of such a young person that I didn't find myself very engaged with that part of the story. I wanted to know more about how the world was changing rather than how an ordinary girl dealt with her parent's marital problems. It was still a well written, enjoyable book, but I wish the author had dug in a little bit deeper and really introduced a character that wowed me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.

03/29/2012 page 120