Amanda's Reviews > The Book Thief

3199847
Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in August, 2012

Absolutely fantastic book. I can't believe it took me so long to read it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Markus Zusak
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”

Markus Zusak
“Like most misery, it started with apparent happiness.”

Markus Zusak
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”

Markus Zusak
“It kills me sometimes, how people die.”

Markus Zusak
“I am haunted by humans.”

Markus Zusak
“I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality. But what could I tell her about those things that she didn't already know? I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.”

Markus Zusak
“Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.”

Markus Zusak
“A halo surrounded the grim reaper nun, Sister Maria. (By the way-I like this human idea of the grim reaper. I like the scythe. It amuses me.)”

Markus Zusak
“It’s a small story really, about, among other things:

* A girl
* Some words
* An accordionist
* Some fanatical Germans
* A Jewish fist fighter
* And quite a lot of thievery”

Markus Zusak
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...”

“A DEFINITION NOT FOUND
IN THE DICTIONARY
Not leaving: an act of trust and love,
often deciphered by children”

Markus Zusak
“You cannot be afraid, Read the book. Smile at it. It's a great book-the greatest book you've ever read.”

Markus Zusak
“It was a Monday and they walked on a tightrope to the sun.”

Markus Zusak
“It's a lot easier, she realized, to be on the verge of something than to actually be it. This would still take time.”

Markus Zusak
“Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day.”

Markus Zusak
“I..." He struggled to answer. "When everything was quiet, I went up to the corridor and the curtain in the livingroom was open just a crack... I could see outside. I watched, only for a few seconds." He had not seen the outside world for twenty-two months.
There was no anger or reproach.
It was Papa who spoke.
How did it look?"
Max lifted his head, with great sorrow and great astonishment. "There were stars," he said. "They burned by eyes.”

Markus Zusak
“What do you want to kiss me for? I'm filthy.'- Liesel
So am I.'- Rudy”

“My heart is so tired”

Markus Zusak
“She was saying goodbye and she didn't even know it.”

Markus Zusak
“Hair the color of lemons,'" Rudy read. His fingers touched the words. "You told him about me?"

At first, Liesel could not talk. Perhaps it was the sudden bumpiness of love she felt for him. Or had she always loved him? It's likely. Restricted as she was from speaking, she wanted him to kiss her. She wanted him to drag her hand across and pull her over. It didn't matter where. Her mouth, her neck, her cheek. Her skin was empty for it, waiting.

Years ago, when they'd raced on a muddy field, Rudy was a hastily assembled set of bones, with a jagged, rocky smile. In the trees this afternoon, he was a giver of bread and teddy bears. He was a triple Hitler Youth athletics champion. He was her best friend. And he was a month from his death.

Of course I told him about you," Liesel said.”

“A small fact:
You are going to die....does this worry you?”

Markus Zusak
“He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It’s his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

Markus Zusak
“Finally, in October 1945, a man with swampy eyes, feathers of hair, and a clean-shaven face walked into the shop. He approached the counter. "Is there someone here by the name of Leisel Meminger?"
"Yes, she's in the back," said Alex. He was hopeful, but he wanted to be sure. "May I ask who is calling on her?"

Leisel came out.
They hugged and cried and fell to the floor.”

Markus Zusak
“One was a book thief. The other stole the sky.”

Markus Zusak
“Make no mistake, the woman had a heart. She had a bigger one that people would think. There was a lot in it, stored up, high in miles of hidden shelving. Remember that she was the woman with the instrument strapped to her body in the long, moon-slit night.”

Markus Zusak
“When death captures me," the boy vowed, "he will feel my fist in his face." (31.26)”