Yulia's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Jul 13, 2007

bookshelves: criminal-intent
Read in January, 1994

I was Piggy (well, in personality at least, though not in portliness). I hated everyone who picked on him. I still do. Should people be forgiven for what they do on a deserted island? That depends on whether you think their true nature has revealed itself, or their humanity has been corrupted by circumstance and stress. In a world where almost every human trait is now considered a product of both nature and nurture, would Golding have written his tale differently today? No, I don't believe so. He was quite ahead of his time to believe some of the boys, though certainly not the majority, still remained moral despite the situation. The question is, what would have happened to me? It was impossible not to wonder after I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

02/17/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 12: by Yulia (last edited May 13, 2008 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yulia Thanks so much, Fran. I am working on a book, full-time or as much as I can, as my health doesn't allow me to have a normal job.

Actually, since this site is so addictive, I have to review less and write more, so I'm scaling back my time on here, but it is wonderful to be in correspondence with other literate individuals. As shy as I still am, I guess I do like human interaction after all.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna I feel the very same way about Piggy.

Sieran I'm not Piggy but I also hated how everyone laughed at him. That's why I don't quite "like" Ralph either, even though he's supposed to stand for the good, lawful, civilized society.

I really liked this comment: "some of the boys, though certainly not the majority, still remained moral despite the situation."

EXACTLY! I'm very happy that someone else picked this up too! Despite how grim this whole story sounds, there were glimmers of hope. Some boys did retain a sense of conscience regardless. I may seem hopeful, but I believe Samneric--the twins--still had a conscience. They were just too scared to go against Jack. Gosh I would be too scared to rebel too.

Yulia Yes, I do think the twins had a conscience. A lot of people I know struggle with not being more proactive in taking a stand against the Jacks of the world. Sometimes I feel the US has been taken over by Jacks. No, optimism isn't foolish. It's the nihilism so many adopt that disturbs me.

Sieran Yulia wrote: "It's the nihilism so many adopt that disturbs me. "

I agree. It annoys me how some people read this booko and say, "Oh human beings are inherently evil. That's horrible. Oh well, that's how it is and we've got to accept it."

Yes I do admit that there is a dark side in us, but there's also a good side that is sometimes neglected by society. Also, after reading such a cautionary tale, I think we should work to prevent such a thing from happening, instead of sighing at how doomed we are and how no matter how hard we try, we will always fail. That's just fatalism! I hate how some people adopt a "let's give up all hope" attitude---that is so not helpful.

Yulia They give up before ever trying. And continued effort is what is necessary. After all, those with a malevolent streak don't give up so easily and perhaps that's why they tend to win.

Sieran Yulia wrote: "They give up before ever trying. And continued effort is what is necessary. After all, those with a malevolent streak don't give up so easily and perhaps that's why they tend to win."

Exactly. This tale should be used to push people to action for the better, instead of to deflate them and make them lose all hope.

Shane Nice observational review, and follow-up comments! The book reminded me a lot of the Stanford Prison experiment (which happened years after it was published) and I think it may have had quite a bit to do with post-World War II Europe and the atrocities of the Nazis as well as everything else it commented upon (whether intentional or subliminal by the author). I don't think human beings are inherently evil, but under unique circumstances they can react in unusual ways, and I think that's something Golding saw and responded to.

W.T. Shad Does anyone else think that Simon is the absolute champion of the Story? Simon climbs the mountain baby! He faces the beast when everyone else has created the Devil for themselves! "What else is there to do?" - Simon.

What else indeed? Face your fear. Simon's the man.

message 3: by Dalya (new) - added it

Dalya I loved the book it was scary and deep kind of mysterious its shows you how humanity really is and what humans really are I really recommend it ! Such a good book!

dkdjdmeidmemfjjr ddhsjsjddj as KAAMSMSMSMSSMKSSKKS@S@SS@SMS@S@S@SIISKSSISJJSSJSJS zmsjsndhjdmsms.ssm

V.Muthu Velayutham Commenting on a book in such intricate nature is thought provoking. Like book writing, book commentary has also improved a lot.Before actually reading the familiar books such as the 'Lord of the Flies' by Nobel prize winner author is something interesting. Earlier, short commentaries used to appear occasionally in daily newspapers' Sunday Editions.Some magazines such as 'Publishers' Choice' used to provide lengthy review articles on even ordinary books without exception.This genre of book review is prevalent in such general category(fiction, nonfiction, historical fiction, biography..). I have yet to see such reviews of engineering titles.
Thanks for providing a space for stating my thoughts!
V.Muthu Velayutham