the other courtney's Reviews > Lover Reborn

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: pnr-scifi-usc
Read from March 27 to April 02, 2012

Let me break it down for y’all:

1. If you LOVED the first four books but hated the last two, you will not like LR, and you should probably throw in the towel because I don’t think Ward is going back to the formula*.

2. If you liked the first four books and like the progression/evolution of the narrative and the series**, why are you bothering to read this review? Get your ass moving and read LR.

3. If you hated the first four books I have to wonder why you are on #10 BUT… it happens. Ward has left PNR and is officially in UF land. You may enjoy this one. However, I don’t see the series as something you can pick up halfway in – highly recommend reading up to LR if you are going to bother.

*Formula: Big, bad Alpha vampire finds redemption and inner 13-year-old girl by virtue of a female (human, ghost, vampire or otherwise). Meet-cute/denial/attraction and eventual spraying of bonding scent ensues. Scribe Virgin pops in and does her thing. HEA.

**This does not include Phury’s book. I like to pretend that never happened. Sorry, but when your character is more interesting when he's on drugs, you've got a problem.

Lover Reborn: I liked it. Granted, I can’t say that I would have continued with the entire series if it had begun this way… LR was very dense, as much as this genre can be I suppose. There are plots, subplots no easy/cheap resolutions to conflicts and some “good” characters are downright offensive at times, but it all makes sense within the context and you certainly don’t get the feeling that Ward simply regurgitated this one to meet a publisher’s deadline.

Five stars because even though I chose to read this one in installments (needed to digest in between the plot lines), I kept going back to it as soon as I could.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Reborn.

03/29/2012 page 250
44.0% "Damn this one is dense. I can usually whip out a BDB in one or two sittings, but I keep having to put it down - I'm reading it in installments! So many (too many?) plot lines. Can't call them subplots. It's great so far, but die hard fans of the first four books are going to bitch about this one. Ward has officially left the PNR building - this is UF all the way."
03/31/2012
72.0% "SO many pop-culture references. Fun and funny but how are they going to manage them when translating the books, I wonder..."