Chanelle's Reviews > The Raft

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Mar 28, 12

bookshelves: arc-review
Read from March 27 to 28, 2012

This was a fast moving book. It was full of tension and twists. I got through it in a few hours not only because it had a great pace, but because I was fixated on the story, needing to know how it ended.

Fifteen-year-old Robie lives with her parents on a small island in Hawaii. There's dodgy internet, only three channels on the TV, and nothing for a girl to do. Her only saving grace is her cool, single aunt who lives on the main land, and Robie can go and stay there whenever. But when a lack of communication leads to Robie boarding a plane back home without anyone knowing, the worst happens. The plane crashes into the sea and Robie is left to survive with nothing but a raft.

It was actually really interesting to read about survival tactics. What kinds of fish you can eat, how to get water when there's no water around. Robie was very resourceful. A real special kind of girl. There were times she could have just given up and let death take her, but she fought and fought. Very inspiring.

There was a twist I didn't see coming too, which I won't spoil, and actually, it explained away what was then my biggest complaint of the story. It all suddenly made sense then! I do wish the sharks would have been a bigger threat, though. Like they were circling the raft rather than what they were actually doing. Sometimes, Robie's explanations of some of nature (like the birds) was a little much to get through and I found it taking away from the tension. Some of it was helpful to know, but mostly, it was a little distracting.

I did really enjoy this book though. I thought it was done really realistically and I learned a few things about survival too! 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raft.