Melissa Caldwell's Reviews > The Gods of Gotham

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

2021042
Apr 03, 12

Read from March 27 to April 03, 2012

I just want to start out my review by stating this: Lyndsay Faye has a knack for weaving history and fiction together. I started this story out with a rather clean slate. I knew it was a mystery of sorts, and was also from the historical fiction genre. I knew there was something about the first police officers of New York, and that was it. So I had no preconceived notions and knew only that it sounded interesting.

I really got pulled into the story of Timothy Wilde, and really liked getting ot know him as he found himself enlisted in the first troop of police officers of New York. He kind of stumbled into it and from the start didn't really want to do it. All it took was running into a little girl covered in blood to change his mind and his life for good.

So many well-crafted characters make this book something of a masterpiece. You love and hate them all at once. You pity the street urchins that have to do whatever it takes to survive, and you despise the criminals that take advantage of them. No one is completely innocent in this story. Just this fact alone makes this book amazingly written.

The Gods of Gotham is certainly one of my new favorites. I felt the mystery was pretty well created and that Lyndsay Faye kept the tense atmosphere perfectly simmering until the very end. I was not disappointed by the ending. It was not at all what I expected and that is a GOOD thing!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of Gotham.