Reni's Reviews > Luck in the Shadows

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Read from March 31 to April 07, 2012

I'm not sure what I expected when I started reading. But considering how the whole internet seemed to recommend it, I think I expected it to be more than standard 90's fantasy. Unfortunately Luck in the Shadows draws a bit on too many cliches to still work as well today as it might have been in the 90's when heroic fantasy was still a lot more popular. But, the book has at least one saving grace, in that it's a story about thieves and spies rather than wizards and warriors who only play supporting roles in this story.

The character are well enough designed to hold your interest for the course of the whole novel, but apart from fantasy stock cliches they also draw heavily from the romance spectrum. Expect the dark-haired, mysterious and battle-hardened more experienced guy to fall for the wide eyed young, blond, innocent idealist, without many twists.

Considering it was the author's Lynn Flewelling it's a decent book, well worth the read if you're a fan of classic heroic fantasy and don't care for big surprises and can overlook a few flaws in logic considering the magic system. If you're fed up with this kind of story, however, don't set your hopes to this novel to bring in too many refreshing ideas though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luck in the Shadows.

03/31/2012 "Ich brauche einfach eine Pause vom Pynchon."
show 6 hidden updates…