JohnS's Reviews > The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup: My Encounters With Extraordinary People

The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup by Susan Orlean

U 50x66
Aug 14, 2008

Recommended for: a
Read in January, 2006

This collection of short non-fiction essays by Susan Orlean (of the Orchid Thief) showcases some of the best New Yorker style writing around. The first essay, "The American Man, Age 10" is worth the price of admission. Here's the first paragraph:

If Colin Duffy and I were to get married, we would have matching superhero notebooks. We would ' wear shorts, big sneakers, and long, baggy T-shirts depicting famous athletes every single day, even in the winter. We would sleep in our clothes. We would both be good at Nintendo Street Fighter II, but Colin would be better than me. We would have some homework, but it would not be too hard and we would always have just finished it. We would eat pizza and candy for all of our meals. We wouldn't have sex, but we would have crushes on each other and, magically, babies would appear in our home. We would win the lottery and then buy land in Wyoming, where we would have one of every kind of cute animal. All the while, Colin would be working in law enforcement - probably the FBI. Our favorite movie star, Morgan Freeman, would visit us occasionally. We would listen to the same Eurythmics song ("Here Comes the Rain Again") over and over again and watch two hours of television every Friday night. We would both be good at football, have best friends, and know how to drive; we would cure AIDS and the garbage problem and everything that hurts animals. We would hang out a lot with Colin's dad. For fun, we would load a slingshot with dog food and shoot it at my butt. We would have a very good life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup.