Lucy's Reviews > Too Much Happiness

U 50x66
Mar 27, 2012

bookshelves: first-read-in-2012
Read from March 27 to April 07, 2012

i feel as though i was reading the last story in this collection forever. it bored me somewhat, and there is a bit where the main character is referred to as "sonya", as opposed to sophia - her actual name. this baffled me for ages until i decided it was probably a (very silly) mistake. i wondered if the book had two narratives, about two women, possibly both in love with the same man. or if sonya was her sister, or her child. overall, the story was well written, but not compelling.

anyway, the other stories were very, very good. i particularly liked "fiction", an ultimately uplifting tale. "child's play" really disturbed me, and I had to try hard to get a certain mental image out of my brain. munro never shies away from life's unpleasantness, whether that be the mundane kind of the horrific kind. i preferred "the beggar maid" to this, but nevertheless really liked it overall.

edit, jan 2013- trying to decide my favourite book of 2012. it could be this, but the last story was just so dull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Much Happiness.