Jim's Reviews > The Last of the Mohicans

Mar 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical_fiction, 1001-bymrbyd
Read from May 01 to 29, 2012

I thought I would like this old favorite a lot more than I did. I don't think this one made the transition from the 19th century to the 21st century very well at all. The book is about twice as long as it needs to be, thanks to wandering and bewildering dialogue. The story itself is unlikely; Cooper would have us believe that the Hurons were extremely lenient with their prisoners, letting them wander about unraped and untortured and permitting them to be rescued time and again. If you want a book on torture, pass this one by and pick up something on Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo Bay.

I know the book has long been considered a classic, and Mr. Cooper shows a talent for descriptive prose, but I don't think it suits the modern reader very well at all. Maybe I'm jaded from over-exposure to explicit media, but this is one of the very few times you will see me declare that the movie was an improvement on the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Mohicans.

05/04/2012 page 59
show 6 hidden updates…

message 1: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri have you got the Folio Society edition, Jim? I am jealous.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Terri wrote: "have you got the Folio Society edition, Jim? I am jealous."

I started picking up the odd Folio book last year. I resisted for a long time, though.

message 3: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri I can't afford them new. I used to pick them up in secondhand shops and ebay, but nowadays I nearly exclusively use the local library and don't spend money on books unless I 'need' them.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim They trick you with offers of half price books and giveaways. When you finally get the invoice you have to sit down until your head clears.

message 5: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri Yes, they have you by the agates once you sign up.

message 6: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri Started yet?

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Terri wrote: "Started yet?"

Just. I'm through both of his introductions and about two chapters in.

message 8: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri I'm about the same. I am just starting to adjust to the old school writing.

message 9: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim And the commas. It's like he took a handful of the dang things and threw them at the page.

message 10: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri And did you get to the line about the 'blue veil below her beaver'?????

I'm sorry..but I couldn't help but giggle about that! :D

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Oh God yes! In fact I read it aloud to my co-worker - we both had a great laugh. We had a semi-military unit in Canada during WWI...Canadian women's Volunteer Reserve or something like that: the motto on their cap badge was "Canadian Beavers"

message 12: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri OMG that's hysterical!! I laughed out loud. Canadian beavers. tee hee.

So you also caught the line a couple pages later where he wrote something like "if you ask him he might ejaculate." ?????

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Yeah, but I was used to that from Zane Grey novels. The beaver comment had me in stitches.

message 14: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri It was very funny. Hubby was asleep when I read it and I contemplated waking him up just to make him read that line. I didn't though. People don't usually like to be woken up so you can read to them.....:/

message 15: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim I actually found a photo of that badge online but don't know how to attach it.

message 16: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri Can you just copy and paste the link?

message 18: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri hahahaha!! So funny...oh man. Does that not make me giggle and giggle.

message 19: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim I've laughed about that for years! Imagine signing up and having to sport that badge on your beret for the duration!

message 20: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri And what do they tell the grand kids.

"kiddies. You're looking at one proud Canadian beaver"

LOL!

message 21: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Too funny!! I wonder when the double meaning came into vogue?

message 22: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri lol. Totally giggle worthy.

Got to be an eighties thing hasn't it? I think all the really crude stuff came in with Rodney Dangarfield didn't it? :)

message 23: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim It has to be in my lifetime. I just call the critters aquatic rodents. I don't know whether they would take the double entendre as a compliment or an insult.

B0nnie I read The Last of the Mohicans so many years ago. The edition I had was full of lovely illustrations, but I've lost it now. The movie is fantastic, one of my favourites.

message 25: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim B0nnie wrote: "I read The Last of the Mohicans so many years ago. The edition I had was full of lovely illustrations, but I've lost it now. The movie is fantastic, one of my favourites."

Offhand, I can only think of two movies that were an improvement on the book, this one and Forrest Gump . the Folio Society edition I bought was also richly illustrated, but I doubt that it will be read again.