Christian's Reviews > Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in the Markets and in Life

Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: finance
Read from March 21 to 27, 2012 — I own a copy

Because I strongly prescribe to the authors premisse that chance plays a major role in life, although we are naturally bias to believe otherwise, I was really looking forward and prone to enjoy the book. Maybe it was the high expectation, but I was let down.

The chapters and sections are all over the place and the author keeps on mumbling through the book without making any point. At least none that is not already stated on the subtitle. The book talks more about the book and never gets into any detail on anything. It is a long prologue. I was familiar with most of the arguments from previous readings and there was no particular tying up of separate topics, or new insight to be taken from it.

The real let-down however was a false humbleness in the tone, disguising a lot of self-righteousness and a bit of prejudice that permeates the text. The author overuses the proof by authority for his argumentation based on his or his characters "success" by not being fooled by randomness and keeping an open mind - but he could have been just another good run of luck, a point he never makes at any point of the book.

An odd reading, it might have become dated as it is possible a lot of the ideas put forth have now become generally accepted. Maybe it was a better read in 2001 or if you have zero background on cognitive bias or probability, but I doubt it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fooled by Randomness.