Alice in Readerland's Reviews > Chomp

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: favorites, wish-list-2
Read in March, 2012

Book courtesy of NetGalley

Filled with hilarity, adventure, and plenty of fangs, Carl Hiaasen’s Chomp is a book readers will want to sink their teeth into.

Wahoo’s father has been out of work since a frozen iguana fell from a tree and hit him on the head. So when Wahoo and his father get asked to be animal rangers for the reality T.V. show Expedition Survival!, the money seems like a good idea. Dealing with the show’s (fake) animal wrangler lead, Derek Badger (or was it Beaver)? Not such a good idea.
And when Derek decides to actually shoot in the Everglades with wild animals? An even worse idea.

Along the way, we meet Tuna, the girl with the black eye and who has memorized the Latin names of animals; Tuna’s dad, a drunk with a gun; and, of course, the animals. Oh, yes, there are plenty of awesome animals (like Alice the Alligator).

I have to admit, I have been a big fan of Hiaasen’s books since I first read Hoot. I enjoyed Flush and Scat just as much, and Chomp was no exception. Hiaasen’s well-crafted plots, humor, and nature themes carry themselves over to Chomp; this is one book that will have readers chomping through the pages from beginning to end.
Hiaasen handled animal issues, parental abuse issues, and money issues with tact and real feeling, adding just enough heart and seriousness to this book. Chomp also managed to include both subtle sarcasm and the pure hilarious, making it a great book for parents and children to read together...See more on my blog, 'Alice in Readerland'! Direct link to 'Chomp' review: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.co...
Link to homepage of 'Alice in Readerland': http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chomp.