Nicole's Reviews > Different Seasons

Different Seasons by Stephen King

208646
Apr 21, 12

Read from March 26 to April 21, 2012

This was a compilation of four novellas, but since one of them was a five, I feel it's fair to give a book as a whole a five because you can just read the good ones if you want. :)

"Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" - 4 stars. The voice and the characterization in this were great, although that might have been helped along by the fact that I couldn't help but hear Morgan Freeman's voice in my head the entire time. The movie stayed pretty close to the story, but watching it and reading it were definitely different experiences.

"Apt Pupil" - 2 stars. I don't have a problem with dark and disturbing content on principle, but I do feel like it needs to serve a purpose. This was pretty horrifying, but I felt like a lot of it was just awful for the sake of being awful rather than being awful as a means to heighten a story.

"The Body" - 5 stars. This is the novella that the movie Stand by Me is based off of, but I haven't seen the movie in a very long time and I hardly remember it, so I don't think it had much of an impact on my reading. I really, really loved this story, largely because of the tone. It's a weird thing to love about a story, but it has a strong voice (much like "Shawshank") and a really powerful nostalgic tone that manages to keep from being overly sentimental or angsty. It was a great story.

"The Breathing Method - 3 stars. More like 2.5, but I'm willing to give it a little nudge because I read it right after "The Body," and that's a hard act to follow. It was fairly interesting, fairly fun, fairly creepy, but just not spectacular on any level. It kind of felt like some good ideas that were put into the same story without ever quite coming together. Or maybe I just missed something. Either way it was okay, but not great.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Different Seasons.