Meera Sachdeva's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mar 26, 2012

Read in July, 2011

I thought that the Great Gatsby was a great reading experience. I really like Fitzgerald's ideals of how the poor are always forced to struggle through life while the rich get it all easy as even nearly a century later, this idea still holds true. I also noticed how a lot of the time, the rich man's happiness was based on the poor man's downfall, as with Tom and Myrtle where we see Myrtle as the lady desperate to become part of Tom's world. This introduces the idea of the American Dream and how in reality it is fake and doesn't really work. This Dream bases it's ideals on the fact that anyone, form anywhere can find the opportunity for success in America, and we do we see how this works with Gatsby, in the way the he manages to go from a soldier to a man living in an obscenely luxurious house. However, this merely proves the fact that the dream does not exist as firstly Gatsby has gotten to where he is through crime and not through hard work or patience. Secondly, he is still not part of Daisy's class, he lives in West Egg not in East Egg in a rented and not owned house and even with all his efforts does not manage to capture the girl of his dreams. I especially liked how throughout the novel Fitzgerald constantly came back to this fact with his frequent references to the Gatsby's color yellow compared to Tom's gold.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.