Carley Grab's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

F 50x66
Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction, family-struggles, genocide
Read in March, 2012

Between Shades of Gray is a deeply touching and haunting tale of human brutality and, more importantly, human perseverance and strength. Told through the eyes of sixteen-year-old Lina Vilkas, this powerful narrative tells of Lina and her family’s hardships after they are deported from their home country of Latvia during Joseph Stalin’s ethnic cleansing of Baltic countries that began in the early 1930s. I was very much moved by this story. I cried and suffering along with Lina and her family as I followed their powerful and tragic story.
The story’s plot, setting, and character descriptions create a raw, and realistic experience in which readers can immerse themselves. This book will entrance readers. They will be unable to put it down, wondering, and fearing, what will happen next? Both enjoyable and educational, this novel focused on a period of history that I knew almost nothing about, and it inspired me to want to learn more. I firmly believe this story should be shared with many people so more can learn about this extremely significant point in human history. I would especially recommend the story to fans of stories about WWII and the Holocaust.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

message 1: by Tytti (new)

Tytti Lithuania and the other Baltic countries were occupied in 1939-40, not in the early 1930s. Though Stalin's Terror started that early.