Laura's Reviews > Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

Bitter Is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

Jul 12, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: borrowed-from-public-library
Read in June, 2007

I tried to get through it, but I found Jen Lancaster horrendous. Obviously the title warned me she was going to be a bit annoying, but I assumed she would eventually tone down and figure out that she was a bad person. After realizing she was cruel for no reason, I assumed she would redeem herself. I couldn't bring myself to actually finish the book because I hated it so much, and kept cringing, so I don't know if she gets better or not. For the most part, she just keeps patting herself on the back for bitchy remarks. It takes a lot of guts to use the kind of insults she flings at random people, but it takes a lot more character to be able to keep your mouth shut. I wish she had.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Is the New Black.

04/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina I'm glad you didn't spend money on that book. It was terrible.

For the record. Life improved for her, but she is still a horse's ass. She didn't grow as much as she liked to believe and she is terribly proud of her horrendous treatment of people

It doesn't take guts to yell and scream and treat people like garbage. That is the refuge of bullies with no self-esteem.

Good Review!

Laura Thanks! I love your avatar! Matilda is one of my favorite books.

I was so disappointed because I heard many good reviews about the book, but she was just insanely whiney.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Oh I know, even as she was going through all these trials, her attitude was "Things like this don't happen to us! I mean we're REPUBLICANS!" As if bad luck cares who you voted for. Also, poverty doesn't care how much you love pearls or what kind of dog you own. The whole thing about her dogs was silly. Its like she thinks she is a great person because she has dogs that aren't pedigree. She's just like us!

The whole book was a love letter from Jen Lancaster to Jen Lancaster.

Thank you! Matilda is one of my all-time favorites as well. I read my first copy of the book until the front and back covers fell off. I learned how to spell the word "difficulty" by reading that book Its amazing how most words can be learned if you sing them or make them into a poem.

Tulsi She gets slightly better, but seriously, she is just pointless to the world. I'm not sure what the matter with her is, but she obviously has some issues going on if she needs to be that horrible to everyone around her.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Our book club is reading it...I finally just gave up! I couldn't stand the author or her filthy mouth! Wish I had read your post sooner!!

Kate I am in the middle of the book but can't stand her attitude. If I had the ability to leave books in the middle of reading them I'd stop, but I just don't have that will power. Someone bought the book for me so I'd feel bad if I didn't finish it.

Sandra Boyne I couldn't finish it either. Jen is a really mean spirited, self-centered, shallow character. I only hope the story was embellished for the audience's benefit. I hope she really isn't like that in person.

Renee S I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was a waste of a paper and ink. I'm embarrassed for her since she doesn't have the common sense to be so for herself.

message 9: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't like this book! I couldn't relate to her and she came of as a whiny rich girl! I kept getting piss at the selfish things she was doing and I couldn't finish the book!

Jennifer Davenport The book was gifted to me. Difficult to get through.