Gina's Reviews > Black Skin, White Masks

Black Skin, White Masks by Frantz Fanon

Jul 23, 12

Read from April 22 to July 23, 2012

This book took me a little while to get through as I don't study a lot of psychology or philosophy and Fanon frequently references authors such as Sartre, Hegel, Mannoni, Césaire (a poet, but I don't read his work), etc. I really, really did not like chapter six where Fanon presents arguments from multiple psychoanalysts like Freud, Adler, and Jung. I just thought that was all unnecessary as Fanon provides it for the sake of a dialectical argument (you get to read all about repressed homosexuality and incestuous feelings, ugh!) but I never believed Freud's theories anyway so there's no need to disprove them to me. However, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how Fanon believes we can conquer disalienation of the "other". In the last chapter of his book he leaves off with a powerful message of how we can achieve freedom by letting go of the past and moving forward, and I believe his ideas can still be applied to a lot of issues that exist today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Skin, White Masks.

Quotes Gina Liked

Frantz Fanon
“We believe that an individual must endeavor to assume the universalism inherent in the human condition.”
Frantz Fanon, Black Skin, White Masks

04/22/2012 page 24
07/19/2012 page 157
65.0% "Reading chapter six. All these psychoanalysts are crazy =/ way too obsessed with sex. :("
show 3 hidden updates…