Gina's Reviews > Crash Into Me: A Survivor's Search for Justice

Crash Into Me by Liz Seccuro

Goodreads Description- In September 2005, Liz Seccuro's world turned upside down when she received an apology letter from the man who had raped her twenty-two years earlier. The rape, which occurred when she was a seventeen-year-old freshman at the University of Virginia, was reported to the campus police, but their inquiry led nowhere. The man accused of raping her left the university soon after, and Seccuro tried to put the incident behind her, starting a business and a family, but like all survivors of trauma, the memory was never far from the surface.

The letter brought it all back. Seccuro bravely began an e-mail correspondence with her rapist to try to understand what happened, and why. As the correspondence continued, Seccuro found the courage to do what should have been done all those years earlier-prosecute him. She began appearing on national television and radio to talk about the case. Several crime dramas and a John Grisham novel, The Associate, were based on her experience. She had found a way to end a terrible story, but once judicial proceedings began, she found that what she thought occurred at that UV A frat party was only the tip of the iceberg. The investigation revealed at least two other assailants, numerous onlookers, and a wall of silence among the fraternity members that persisted two decades later.

Liz Seccuro's inspiring, unflinching memoir is about experiencing terrible trauma-and the power of justice to heal.

Never has a book inspired me more than Crash into Me, the story of Liz Seccuro who was brutally raped as a freshman at the University of Virginia at a frat house party. Her story, bravery, and strength throughout her life made me realize that if victims of rape can forgive but still fight and eventually find peace than so can anyone. I realized that my minor day to day annoyances are nothing compared to what Seccuro survived. This book mesmorized and moved me in ways that are hard to explain. Rape is such an ugly crime and to read about it in such detail can be sickening. But the cold hard truth is that this crime happens everyday and can happen to anyone. The victim is not at fault but is often blamed. Campus rapes run rampant in our country and not all are reported. If anything I hope that my own alma mater does it's best to help victims of this crime and that universities in this country are creating strong policies of no tolerance. I thank Seccuro for sharing her story with the reader and want her to know that her story and fight have touched me. I would recommend this book to anyone because I think that everyone should know the emotional toll that rape takes on a person and this book shares that in an emotional and inspiring way. 4 stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash Into Me.

03/26 page 60