Merrin's Reviews > The Shack

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Sep 02, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: books-about-god, came-recommended, duds
Recommended to Merrin by: every christian i know
Read in August, 2008

Like Susi, I feel like I'm going to get excommunicated for not liking this book, but I can't lie about it either. I can see its benefits for seekers or for people that have been burned by established religions, such as they are. For someone who has a problem with male authority figures, like Mack does in the book, the image of God as an older black woman could be beneficial to understanding God in a new and different way.

But personally? The writing was so awful it was hard to get behind this book and really appreciate the ways in which Young tried to make Christianity more bite sized and palatable. I felt bludgeoned over the head by the book's metaphors and descriptions. Instead of being clever it came off as clunky and obvious and insulting to my intelligence, such as it is. I think he compromised on some theological truths for the sake of the story and if it were better written, I'd almost be willing to forgive him for it. Except it wasn't, and I'm not.

So. I mean, if you want to see what everyone's talking about, it is a quick afternoon (or two hour long plane ride) of reading. But I'd skip it and look for something deeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.