Kathy Ramirez's Reviews > Rosa

Rosa by Nikki Giovanni

Mar 26, 12

Read in January, 2000

While looking through a list of books, the first quality that caught my attention is the front cover which looks familiar to a book I most likely could have passed in the years of elementary to middle school. I believe that the story of Rosa Parks is always one that is inspirational, and in this case, can tie into a classroom the topic subjects of English/ Language Arts and History! This book would be excellent for a classroom of students to involve many historic writing activities. First, a teacher could read-aloud this student to a classroom of students and then assign the students to create a 'friendly letter' to Rosa Parks, on their thoughts, comments, and any other connection to this story by Giovanni to Rosa Park's real-life, historic event. This book can also depict how the illustrations and many versions of this story is found in multiple picture story books. Yet, I believe this book has a special qualtity of style and language from this author that students can benefit from. I think this book would even be helpful in connecting to a History lesson (learning about the details our history books of Rosa Parks). I would encourage any teacher to add this book to their classroom library as it is a treasure in engaging students in this true event with colorful illustrations and an inspiring message. This book can prompt essays, letters, and reflective thinking in a classroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosa.