Fairytale Nerd's Reviews > Hemlock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

May 04, 12

Read from March 26 to 27, 2012

Read full review at The Fairytale Nerd.

LOVE:
First of all, I loved the atmosphere of the story. The town of Hemlock has an air of mystery and intrigue. I also love the characters in this book. Each one is imperfect, but is always striving to be better. This fact makes them real. Jason is so broken and lost after Amy's death. Kyle is frustrating, but heroic. Mac made some incredibly stupid decisions, but was able to redeem herself anyway. Those flaws made the characters human, and therefore the readers of this book would be able to relate to one or more of the characters. In relation to this, I loved the teenage hormonal drama behind the murder mystery story. This book dealt with issues about imperfect friendships: trust, betrayal, and lots of secrets and lies. Plus, there are also best friends slowly turning into something more than friends, and two best friends loving the one and the same girl. Truly, the drama in this book is fantastic!

NO LOVE:
There are very few things I disliked about this book. First, the book has this element: "I'm a monster. I'm not good for you." This is just so commonplace! Second, is the fact that Amy can communicate to Mac in her dreams. This was strange to me at first as a ghost story doesn't really go well with a werewolf story. I didn't know what to make of it. But I got used to it, and I realized later in the story that it wasn't as bad as I thought.

MUSINGS:
I am in love with this book! But I have to say that, there is really nothing unique about the werewolf lore in this book: people getting infected by the virus, people getting killed by a werewolf. Nevertheless, there is something special about the book as a whole. I believe this is due to the author's amazing writing and storytelling skills. I was hooked after reading the first paragraph. I couldn't stop reading because it was just completely addicting. Honestly, I didn't expect the book to be that good. It exceeded my expectations. I think it's a combination of the werewolf story in the The Dark Divine and the murder-mystery story in The Body Finder. This book is actually better than The Dark Divine! The plot is so wonderfully entangled and complicated! The suspense is a killer! Who is the wolf? Who is the killer? Is the wolf and the killer one and the same? As new characters are introduced, the reader would ask, is this character the wolf? While the romance in the story did not fully develop, there was an intense chemistry between potential love interest/s. The ending was very satisfying. The author was able to resolve the conflicts well, but left something to make the reader hungry for the sequel. And for a change, I am thrilled that there will be a sequel. Reading Hemlock was such a pleasure that I would gladly return to the world that Kathleen Peacock has created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemlock.