Karima's Reviews > House of Stone: A Memoir of Home, Family, and a Lost Middle East

House of Stone by Anthony Shadid

Mar 26, 12

Read in March, 2012

I'm giving this four stars because I have great admiration for the author. I cannot give it a fair assessment because I only made it through the first 50 pages or so. I wanted to push aside the clutter of so many words just as the war-torn land of which he writes is strewn with ruin and devastation.
The author is American born, of Lebanese descent. He was a foreign correspondent and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner. HOUSE OF STONE is a memoir of his return to reclaim/rebuild the house built by his grandfather.

Anthony Shadid died on February 18th, 2012 of an acute asthma attack while attempting to leave Syria on horseback. He was 43.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Stone.

message 1: by Danika (new) - added it

Danika Why didn't you finish it? Was it hard to read?

Karima A bit. It gave a lot more detail than I was up for concerning negotiations with builders/neighbors. I might give it another go this summer when I have more time and patience.

Kenneth P. You shouldn't rate and review a book that you haven't read.

Karima Advice taken.

message 5: by Danika (new) - added it

Danika I disagree. A partial reading (providing you clearly say that you haven't finished the book) is still valid. Of course, it doesn't hold the same weight as a review of the entire book. Although it is nice to know why the reviewer DIDN'T finish the book.

Karima Thanks Nika. I guess I wasn't clear when I stated that I wanted to "push aside the clutter". I was referring to the book and the laborious detail the author was giving to building concerns.
I have often read reviews where the reviewer admits to abandoning the book and I find that input helpful.
My apologies for my lack of clarity. I appreciate your support!