Deanna Lack's Reviews > The Last Light of the Sun

The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction
Read from March 26 to April 19, 2012

I had a hard time with this one despite really liking The Lions of Al-Rassan. I hadn't noticed it in that book, but he has a weird style of using the same subject for multiple sentences, like this:

"Her heart went out to him. Younger son, the quiet one. Had never wanted than the role life seemed to be offering him."

Now I am not against poetic prose but these fragmented sentences happen so often - I'd guess without counting that maybe 60% of his sentences are complete At most - that for me it interrupted the flow and was distracting. Granted, I tend to be the grammar police.

Another weirdness for me were the snippets of story through the eyes of peripheral characters, complete with tales of what happened to them at the end of their years. Also distracting.

Beyond that, I just wasn't engaged in the story until about halfway through the book. I'm not sure why. If I'd stopped I'd have said I hated this book.

But I didn't, and ultimately he wove all the threads together into a nice conclusion that I enjoyed, so I'm not going to say I hated it. I have mixed feelings about trying another of his books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Light of the Sun.

03/28/2012 page 35
04/17/2012 page 375
73.0% "Well, it just started to get a little interesting, but I am having a hard time getting through this one."
show 6 hidden updates…