Sara's Reviews > The Messenger

F_50x66
May 11, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 07 to 11, 2012

I won this in a firstreads giveaway.

This is the story of a 16 year old girl, Jeilin, who's not quite ready to follow the norm and get married and have kids. Instead she craves adventure. After having seen one of the Kings messengers in person she dreams of becoming one herself. To her delight the opportunity presents itself and she earns a place in the Kings service. Unfortunately she does not get to enjoy her position for too long before her country is attacked and is at war. Taken captive by the enemy she must choose whether to serve her new master and hope for a chance to help her country or to sacrifice her life.

I really enjoyed this story. I found it to be a quick and entertaining read. I'm assuming it's a young adult novel. The battle scenes were not extremely complex and resolved fairly quickly but I don't feel that that took away from the book. The main character, Jeilin, is very likeable. She is fiercly loyal to her friends and her country and is very brave for someone so young. I would recommend this book to others.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.