Liz's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

2042021
Someone told me about this book with the recommendation: "It's like The Hunger Games, but minus the teenagery romance". That appealed to me, because while I enjoyed The Hunger Games, I got a little irritated with the mushy stuff. And while it's true that there was an attraction between two of the characters in this book, it definitely is not in-your-face and it takes a backseat to the main plot. I appreciated that, because while there isn't anything wrong with a romancey book now and then, I don't really appreciate it in my fighting-for-our-lives, post-apocalyptic sci-fi scenarios.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I'm finding my attention span is getting shorter and shorter lately (maybe because I have so much less time to devote to reading than I used to...), and I'm more apt to just put down a book when it starts to bore me rather than trying to soldier through it. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but this book definitely grabbed me from the first page and held my attention throughout. Even when I started figuring out what was going on, I still wanted to keep reading to find out how the characters solved the problem. I was rooting for the kids, especially Thomas, even though he had a whiff of the Gary Stu about him.

Of course, it ended on a cliffhanger, and of course I'm going to read the sequel. I'm really eager to see how the author develops the themes he has introduced, and I'm hoping he can avoid the second-book slump.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.