Rick's Reviews > The Good Daughters

The Good Daughters by Joyce Maynard

Mar 26, 12

Read in March, 2012

I've liked Joyce Maynard's writing ever since about 1972 when she (and I) were 18 and she had just written a short little book called Looking Back. That book was a memoir for people our age about growing up in what was probably the last good time to be a kid: 1960's and early 70's. Great book and still one of my favorites today.

The Good Daughters is a work of fiction set mostly in Hew Hampshire that spans from 1949 until the present time. The book tells the story of two families with not much apparently in common but under the surface more than what one would suspect. As I would expect, the writing is great. Joyce Maynard tells a great story. The story is told through the eyes in alternating chapters by each of the daughters---who just happened to be born on the very same day, same year, and in the same hospital. The story is really about their lives and the twists and turns each takes, though they start off from the same place. It is also the story of the four parents, who live what seem to be pretty ordinary lives. Very good story and a fast read. Glad I spent the day reading it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Daughters.