Eliza's Reviews > Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds by Scott Simon

Aug 14, 2008

bookshelves: read-post-college
Read in August, 2008

The weekend the Russian/Georgian situation blew up, my mother recommended this book to me. My father also had good things to say about it when he saw it with my stuff. I trust them, and it seemed appropriate given current events, so I brought it home with me. From the very first chapter, the horror of war on one's own home soil was explicit. Even in the aftermath of 9/11, the huge majority of Americans continued day-to-day life as usual. Not so in Sarajevo.

Scott Simon is a reporter for NPR; this is his first novel. I like his writing style, which I think is informed by his experience as a reporter. This book could be heavy on symbolism, but for the most part it's not. I think that ties the reader closer to the characters as I doubt there's a lot of time for symbolism and deep thinking in the middle of a war waged right outside your apartment building. Sometimes a pet bird is just a pet bird. No that one is pretty symbolic, but sometimes an appreciation for them music of Sting is just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Birds.