Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: tbr-kindle, ntm_authors_2012, 4-5-stars
Recommended to Michelle by: tessamari gave it 5 huge stars!
Recommended for: Anyone, but have a hankie handy!
Read from March 30 to 31, 2012

4.5 Stars

I'm not really sure what to say about this book. Until about 60% it was very like any other YA book you've read or heard about. It was good, but not great and in a few places, even a bit "cheesy". Then, BAAM!

The last 40% of the book was just one BOOM after another.

What did I like about this book?
1 -- The story itself. Slammed is a phrase used for a poetry reading that is so raw it has to be acted out. I can't even describe it. At times it is so revealing by the participants, that even reading about it makes you uncomfortable. I've never thought much about poetry really. But, this book brings it to a whole other level. It is so much a part of who Will is, it is almost like the air he breathes.
***spoiler alert***
There are so many stories, inside of stories in this book. You have an 18 year old girl trying to finish her senior year after her father dies of a sudden heart attack. Her remaining family relocates, so you have this "new school" dynamic too. Then you have her meeting a best friend that also happens to be a foster child. And Eddie is remarkable. Then, Layken moves in across the street from a boy who is raising his brother after their parents die and they fall immediately into a deep relationship... then she finds out he is an intern teacher at her school, making their relationship taboo. Then, if this isn't enough, she finds out her mother moved them not because the house was too expensive to maintain in Texas, but because she wanted to be closer to family in Michigan because she is dying with lung cancer.

WOW! You can't imagine all this working in a story, but it does. And, the last 30 pages or so I was just bawling. Boo.. Hoo.. bawling. I was so not prepared for this, but like a car wreck you can't look away from, this book just made me keep reading; very compelling.

So, I wouldn't recommend to someone wanting a light read. Or to someone who maybe doesn't need or want to shed a tear, but I would recommend to really anyone. It is a story with a great deal of life tackled head on by some really remarkable people, who are really everyday you and me people. And, there is strength in that!

Happy Reading!

Oh, why not 5 stars? Because there was a bit of cheese in the beginning and it was a bit annoying!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This sounds good. Does it have a good ending? I understand there may be death involved, but does it have a good ending or this is life type of sad ending?

Michelle [Helen Geek] I wouldn't call it a good ending, but it isn't bad. There is a second book. I immediately bought it - $4 on Amazon. I want to give myself a breather before I go there though....

Michelle [Helen Geek] Thanks Baba!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog So glad you gave this book a chance and liked it :) I loved the poetry and like you, I never read anything like it. Very raw and emotional stuff ya know? So happy you enjoyed it =)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Thank you for your review and steering me here. I did enjoy it and the poetry was almost like another character in the book. Very interesting for me.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Michelle wrote: "Thank you for your review and steering me here. I did enjoy it and the poetry was almost like another character in the book. Very interesting for me."

=D

message 8: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Wonderful review Michelle. I'm going to check this one out!

message 9: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I picked it up, only .99!! Thanks Michelle.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Karla wrote: "I picked it up, only .99!! Thanks Michelle."

Me too!

message 11: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian It sounds like a great book...but maybe not a great book for me. I can deal with 2 or 3 pages of tragedy, but 30 pages might make me ill.

Melissa Sounds amazing... Adding it!

Howvuben I read your review and just HAD to see what it was all about. Not only did i add it to my list, but I purchased the ebook and started reading. It's awesome! Thank you!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] It was an unexpected JOY for me. I just loved the poetry and the passion around it. The evolving relationship was different and just as passionate. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 15: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Michelle wrote: "It was an unexpected JOY for me. I just loved the poetry and the passion around it. "

I'm only half way through at the moment so I might change my mind about this, but I'm loving the story but the poetry hasn't really impressed me, and I really wish it did.