Charles's Reviews > Red Dragon

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

M 50x66
Mar 26, 2012

I own a copy , read count: 3

A truly chilling book, this is one of Harris’s finest works. Talk about an abundance of ideas. It’s no surprise that he later expanded the character of Hannibal Lecter because, in this book, he provides not one, but two terrific antagonists plus a brilliantly original protagonist. The whole “profiler who empathizes with serial killers” thing has become somewhat over-saturated now, but it’s important to remember that Harris was the one who started it and, I would say, still did it the best in this book.

Not surprisingly given Harris’s background as a journalist, hard facts and realism form the foundation of this book’s greatness, as well as the greatness of Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal (we just won’t talk about Hannibal Rising, shall we?). Harris is also underrated as a character artist. His depth psychology when painting these characters interacting shows how well he understands human nature, both the noble and the despicable, as demonstrated by his characters acting out according to the fears and desires that they themselves may not even know about.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Dragon.