Pansy Lane's Reviews > I Don't Want to Kill You

I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** (Minor spoilers for the first book only-- this is more of a review of the series in general.)

I wanted to wait until l finished all three books before writing a review about any of them, because that seemed to make the most sense. I enjoyed these books a lot-- I read them in three days, so obviously I was into it-- although of course it's more of a "fun quick read" kind of thing and not a "life-changing omg must recommend" feeling.

First of all, I accidentally read several pages of I Don't Want To Kill You before I even realized that it was the third book in a trilogy, so I went into I Am Not A Serial Killer spoiled about the whole demon/Crowley thing. Oops. I'm kind of glad that happened, though, because otherwise I would have spent the entire first novel wondering if the demon thing was in his head and being disappointed when it wasn't. As it was, I still spent the last half of the first book thinking about how much better it would have been if John actually had some kind of psychotic break and Crowley wasn't a demon at all, just a nice old man, and this was actually an insight into the mind of a killer (or if Crowley was the killer and was really just a sociopath like John, but John saw him as a monster because that's how he felt about himself). But anyway, none of that happened.

By the second book I was more into the mindset that these were some kind of unexpected sci-fi novels, and I actually settled into it much better. The third book was by far my favorite, because I felt comfortable with the characters and loved the relationship between John and his mom.

I never read mystery novels so that probably explains why I was sucked in so easily! It actually made me want to explore that genre a lot more, because I know practically nothing about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Don't Want to Kill You.