Michele Bowkunowicz's Reviews > Don't You Wish

Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire

Apr 10, 12

Read from March 26 to April 04, 2012

I didn't have high hopes for this book, but it completely blew me away. Even though, I must admit, it started off a little slow in the beginning but it sped up within time and I was hooked. It was a cute, fresh, fun read. The good part about this read was that it was very quick. I read it in one sitting.

I found myself surprised by how much I enjoyed the science of it, quantum physics , I find the concept fascinating. Roxanne St. Clair did a fine job of explaining the basics and expanding the theory to fit the situations in her novel.

One thing that I enjoyed about this book was how her parents played a role in it. Annie is originally worried about her parent’s relationship because her father is a bit of a crazy inventor and her mother is regretting her life decisions. She’s worried that they may be falling out of love and her mother is wishing that she had married somebody else.

I loved seeing the development in Annie. In the beginning she doesn't have much thought for her family or her best friend, Lizzie. She's a bit shallow, thinking that being pretty and popular are crucial. She wishes she could be like that. But then as the story develops, she learns that being popular isn't as important as she thought it would be. What matters are true love and good friendships.

Charlie was the love interest. The one who all the popular kids warned Annie to stay away from. He was poor and was to be avoided at all costs. Annie is attracted to him, but she’s worried that it might come down to popularity or him. Charlie was so sweet. He was the type of nice-guy in YA that I would love to see more of. He was nice, smart, and funny. He was like the guy that you would be with in real life, and I loved the scenes with him in there.

The book overall was heartwarming and more complex that I thought it would be, even though it used a familiar plot. The characters were developed and while the ending was predictable, it was more surprising than I thought it would be. I will definitely recommend this to several of my friends and I was satisfied with the ending. The romance, character development, and writing was wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Wish.