Esther's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

F_50x66
Mar 26, 12

The book takes place in Syracuse, New York. It is about a high school freshman named Melinda Sordino. She was raped at a summer party and she called the cops because she was so scared. When she called the cops they busted the party and that made many people mad at her. When she went back to school everyone hated her and she was left alone. She struggles with keeping the secret and trying to make friends. As she re connects with her old friend she lets her in on the secret that she's been to scared to shared. Her friend backs her up and the guy has to face the consequences.

The message is that you should speak up in every situation. Thee are many things and people that try to keep you quiet, but it's best to tell the truth so that the right thing happens. By not telling the truth people can judge you or treat you in a way that is not fair. The truth doesn't always sound like it the best choice at many times but no matter in the circumstances we should make an effort to be truthful so we don't cloud other people's judgement. People constantly get bad reputations because of rumors and false information. Since they are given wrong information they can't accurately come up with a opinion of that person. We often point fingers because of rumors that we hear but we could be pointing at the wrong person because they don't want to speak up. Keeping quiet is not only bad for yourself but other people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.