Leea's Reviews > The Defiant Hero

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-crime, series
Read from March 26 to April 06, 2012

3 stars...

I can really see why Brockmann has such a following. Parts of this book were wonderful and others just dragged. Again, we have 2 story lines that take place at the same time and we also have another WWII romance.

John 'Nils' and Meg

Let's just get this out there... John is a catch! He's written with honor, conviction and a hidden past. Meg on the other has is a little older, and she's been hurt in the past and only want to take care of her daughter, Amy. This is the part of the story that was lacking for me. We have Meg and Nils going back and forth thru the whole book... Then the end it's bam! (don't want to spoil anything :) I felt like this story, although is was the main plot took a others that evoked more emotions in me.

Alyssa Locke and Sam

I may be in love with Alyssa myself after hearing the way Sam describes her. Hard edged, strong but really needs someone to lean on. She a beautiful women working in a traditionally men world and you can't help but have utter respect for her. Except she makes the worst decisions regarding her love life. Sam, or is it Roger or Huston :) He's part of the Team sixteen SEAL team and he's had a crush of Alyssa for awhile. This is the part of Defiant Hero that shined. Brockmann was able to write the interactions between Locke and Sam so believable that Alyssa's verbal blows could almost be felt physically. This is a relationship that I can't wait to read about, I can't wait for their book.

Eve and Ralfe

Brockmann's ability to weave past and present literally had me in tears at the end of Defiant Hero Eve and Ralfe's love story was utterly beautiful and this book would not have earned 3 stars if not for this story. I didn't see the ending coming, now looking back it must have been clear to those who've read the book before but I almost liked that feel of suddenly finding out how it all ended.

Defiant Hero and Unsung Hero are suposed to be the worst of the Troubleshooters Series... Well then, I can't wait for what comes next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Defiant Hero.

04/05/2012
04/06/2012
75.0% "Not sure whose hotter Sam or John?" 2 comments

Regina How is it going?

Leea Good. I have to say, parts are just so so but others I love. I really don't like the Meg/John - kidnapping storyline, it just feels so unbelievable that Meg could pull this off. Not because she's a women but because she a linguistics translator and would not have the strength like Locke let's say. The Sam/Locke storyline is wonderful, we've gotten to get to know about both of them much more in this book. Eve's first 'marriage' is another interesting story, I love how Brockmann can weave the past and present together. Not sure how this all is going to end. Sam/Locke (view spoiler)

Regina I love that storyline too! This book was important to get the background on it. :)

Leea Yeah, it feels like a transition book for some story lines.

Wendy F I've gotten very little reading down in the last two days. I'm waaaay behind.

Leea I understand. I got going and couldn't stop lol!