Gina's Reviews > The Good Psychologist

The Good Psychologist by Noam Shpancer

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: book-club, challenges-2012, library, psychology, ccc-club, drama, psychology-women, romance, sociology
Read on April 29, 2012

Goodreads Description- Noam Shpancer's stunning debut novel opens as a psychologist reluctantly takes on a new client—an exotic dancer whose severe anxiety is keeping her from the stage. The psychologist, a solitary professional who also teaches a lively night class, helps the client confront her fears. But as treatment unfolds, her struggles and secrets begin to radiate onto his life, upsetting the precarious balance in his unresolved relationship with Nina, a married former colleague with whom he has a child—a child he has never met. As the shell of his detachment begins to crack, he suddenly finds himself too deeply involved, the boundary lines between professional and personal, between help and harm, blurring dangerously. With its wonderfully distinctive narrative voice, rich with humor and humanity, The Good Psychologist leads the reader on a journey into the heart of the therapy process and beyond, examining some of the fundamental questions of the soul: to move or be still; to defy or obey; to let go or hold on.

I don't really know what to say about this book other than I liked it. My degree is in Psychology and Teaching and I spent 5 years working as a group therapist for teens, so I liked the exploration of the merits and theories of the therapeutic relationship and experience. You could see the psychologists lines begin to blur with Tiffani, his four o'clock client, as the books goes on and it is interesting to see how he teaches his class what he has experienced that day with her. The ending is so open and vague which is something that annoys me, but that vague ending is also a metaphor for therapy. You don't really know what will happen you just have to stand up and ride the wave. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Psychologist.

04/29/2012 page 50