Susan Ferguson's Reviews > To Live & Die in Dixie

Mar 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: cozy-mystery, mystery, 2012
Read in March, 2012

On the whole, I think I liked this book. Callahan Garrity is an ex-policewoman who now owns and runs a cleaning service. She also does a little detecting on the side. The book is set in Atlanta, Georgia, and there are some chiches of the south that I'm not really sure about. Some are irritating and others I'm not sure still exist. Being raised in the south myself (altho only in Arkansas -but my dad is from Alabama), I have not run into some of these cliches. But, that's only a minor detail I guess. I enjoyed this book and may read more.
Callahan Garrity lives with her mother Edna, and has a boyfriend/lover Mac, who wants a more permanent relationship. But, she's leery. Her cleaning service is called House Mouse and she runs it out of her house. Her employees are herself, her mother, a friend Neva Jean (whose husband is Swanelle), Ruby, Baby and Sister. They are hired to clean Elliott Littlefield's mansion for a charity event and find a dead young woman - obviously murdered. Several antiques have also been stolen and Littlefield hires Callahan to try to recover them, particularly a very old diary. Then things get complicated when the sister of the murdered girl turns up on Callahan's doorstep looking for a place to stay.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Live & Die in Dixie.