Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > The Taker

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 24 to June 27, 2012

Review also posted at Under the Covers Book Blog

Call me a masochist if need be, but I loved this heartbreaking story. Alma Katsu is a wonderful storyteller. I have to admit that this story is dark and depressing to the point where I wanted to stop reading the book but Ms. Katsu’s left and right twists of the story kept me flipping the pages non-stop.

Lenore aka Lanny finds herself in the ER in shock of what she had just done. She confides in the local doctor and convinces him to help her with her troubles. In their journey, she talks about decades of misfortune and misery. Her love for Jonathan (her first and only love) has no bounds. She would do anything and everything for him. And same goes for Adair (her lover & the one who gave her immortality), but not to a point of love and obsession, just means to an end.

Unfortunately, these men brought her nothing but heartache after heartache. How she moved on with this immortal life, I have no idea. But then again, how did I keep on reading each heart-wrenching tale she tells? Let me tell you, it is the hope of finding any scrap of happiness for Lenore.

This book captured my feelings of lost, regret and made me appreciate my simple mortal life. It goes back and forth from past to future which made the feelings of regrets more intense. I have to warn you, it is a story full of hardships and it is hell on earth. You will either love it or hate it.

I don't consider this anything like the Fifty Shades trilogy at all but a class on its own.

*Review copy provided by author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taker.

04/26/2012
9.0% "ummm, is there a bit of... ummm horror here. coz I'm a little scared right now."
06/21/2012
18.0% "Oh, I have a heartache. :("
18.0% "Oh shmit!"
18.0% "Ummmm. *covering my eyes and mouth*
Yeah. I need a break.
I have to take this all in first." 6 comments
06/22/2012
26.0% "Ouch!"
06/22/2012
26.0% "*wiping tears*someone tell me there will be a HEA at the end of this book. Please!!!!!!!!!"
06/25/2012
40.0% "Oh my goodness."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hey Ang! I am about to start this! Are you going to start soon, we can buddy read :)

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) i have to finish 2review books first. You can start if you like.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) That's cool, I might wait for you to start then :)

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) thank you.
I'll put a crank on it. Give me a week?

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, that's fine, honestly I am not the excited to read it, I am hoping it willbe good though, there are lots of 4/5 star reviews

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL. I've heard it's better than OTHER books. So, we'll see.
I just have to go through my 2 books. before hell breaks lose. LOL Fran might bring out the whip....not fond of her whip....now if it's a flog......

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, let's hope so! I thought it was a standalone though, but looks like it is part of a series.

Lol, I have a few books I need to get through as well may be a good girl and start some of the, we don't wanna Frans wrath, and if we are good she may get the flog out :)

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) BHAHAHAHHAHAHA....

I should create a shelf....LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL! The...need-to-read-before-fran-spanks-me shelf LMAO!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) OMG. I wOnder if she is seeing this. I'm totally LOL.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) LMAO! I dunno, probably not, we should grab her lol

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "LOL! The...need-to-read-before-fran-spanks-me shelf LMAO!"

LMFAO..... *goes looking into her bag of tricks for a more appropriate toy* I kinda like the shelf idea, you girls have a lot to put in there! :) Of course, Ang might not deserve the flog, she's been a little slow lately. LOL

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hey! I have been a good girl! I do have a special shelf in my kindle for review books, I may rename it now to- CAUTION! Read before being spanked...LOL!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL I said Angela wasn't being good, you my love are wonderful

Heather Book Savvy Babe Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Hey! I have been a good girl! I do have a special shelf in my kindle for review books, I may rename it now to- CAUTION! Read before being spanked...LOL!"

LOL, i think i need that shelf too :)

BTW, I'm halfway through The Taker, it's pretty good, it's not exactly super fast-paced, but it's pretty good

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Damn right, me ANGEL! lol, I still might name my shelf that : D

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Heather wrote: "Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Hey! I have been a good girl! I do have a special shelf in my kindle for review books, I may rename it now to- CAUTION! Read before being spanked...LOL..."

What's it like Heather? Straight romance, chick lit...

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMFAO! Suz, you told on me!!!?!!

Bahahahah. I know, i know. I'll stop twittering around!!!!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) *sticking butt out* but I didn't even go to twitter world today!!!!
I was good!!!!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) You were on txt world instead of reading LOL

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) I will only let this pass because it was needed =)

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) LMFAO!!!! OOOPS BUSTED!!!
I should've been txting someone else other than you!!! ahahahah.

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) No no no I needed your help today, life saver!

Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) At your beck and call!

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) Mwahhhh *runs to get the flogger*