Michelle's Reviews > I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

Apr 03, 13

bookshelves: books-at-sf-library, adult-fiction, audio, chick-lit, humor, romance
Read in April, 2013

This was adorable. How have I not known about Sophie Kinsella before? Actually, I'll admit that I avoided her in the past since, well, I watched the movie version of Shopaholic and let's just say it wasn't my fave movie. So then I just figured Miss Kinsella wouldn't be for yours truly.

So I listened to this on a little road trip, and I must say, I was laughing out loud. I don't do that too often with books. Usually I'll find something mildly amusing, smile and think about how clever it is. But that's it. But this was hilarious. Hijinks and all, I was quite amused. So that is one reason I recommend it.

I also liked the main character, Poppy Wyatt (isn't that name so cute?). She was not only funny, but loveable and relatable. Sometimes I read romance novels and think to myself, "Who would act like that?" And I thought that sometimes when I was reading this, but then I realized, "Oh...I would." Neurotic, doubting, silly...I totally would act like that. But she's so sweet and kind and flat out funny that she becomes endearing.

My one and only caveat is the language. I don't get it, really. The book avoids crossing over the line with sex and that sort of vulgarity. But then there is the excessive use of the eff word. And when you are listening to something, it is jarring to hear it. And I don't think it was necessary. So for those of you who don't go in for that sort of thing...there is my warning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Got Your Number.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jami (new)

Jami Ok, here's the deal. I really love Sophie Kinsella. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything she has written (with the sad exception of some books she wrote under another name . . . although at this moment, I can't remember the pseudonym or the other book titles. Just trust me on this, though). Everything she writes just makes me laugh so much! I will give you this warning, though. You may not want to read all the Shopaholic books right in a row. The protagonist's antics get to be a little much when you see them repeated book after book. When I took a little break between books, however, I really enjoyed them all.

message 2: by Jami (new)

Jami Okay, I just looked it up, and her other books were published under the name Madeleine Wickham (which, as it turns out, is her real name!). I only read a couple of the books she wrote under that name, and I didn't love them. Her Sophie Kinsella books came later in her writing career, so maybe she just needed some more writing experience or something.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Apr 04, 2013 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle I actually noticed that Sophie Kinsella wasn't her real name a few days ago when I was looking up her other books. I think that it's interesting she changed names. Probably knew that the first books were bad enough that she didn't want to associate her next work with that and lose readership. Not a bad idea.

Anyway, I seriously laughed so hard at this. I can see, though, that if I were to read another book about Poppy Wyatt, I might get a little tired of her antics. I'll have to check out the Shopaholic series.

message 4: by Jami (new)

Jami I did really like all her stand-alone books, too. I think Remember Me? was one of my favorites. I love a book that can make me laugh, and Kinsella has a gift for that.

Loved getting to talk to you! We just need more time, so let's do it again soon!

Michelle I just put it on my list.

And agreed. We definitely needed more time, so let's do it again on a Saturday when we can chat for longer...I feel like we talked all about me and not enough about you :)!

message 6: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren  Librarian After reading Remember Me I really want to read this! Now I want to read it more!

Michelle Lauren wrote: "After reading Remember Me I really want to read this! Now I want to read it more!"

Lauren...have you read any of her other books? I've always sort of shied away from this sort of chick lit, but I might have been a bit hasty in my dismissal. This was so much fun.

message 8: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren  Librarian I didn't like the Shopaholic series all that much, but I only read the first one. I can recommend Marion Keyes as a similar author with upbeat/fun subject matter. I liked Sushi for Beginners and Anybody Out There? by Keyes. Chick lit can be awesome if done right!

Michelle I'm going to check her out. I think I'm becoming a fan of this stuff because it's like Stephanie Perkins for grown-ups.