Nashirah's Reviews > Dark Kiss

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen

May 09, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, favorites
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

Originally posted HERE @ Nook of Books.

I'm not really experienced when it comes to angel/demons books. In fact, I tend to avoid them. The only time I actually wanted to read an angel story was when I picked Angelfall, and I ended up not knowing how to really rate it.

My approach to Dark Kiss was... careful, to put it mildly. But I started reading it after the disaster that was Glitch and I was surprised how much I liked it! Dark Kiss is actually everything I could ask for when it comes to paranormal romance. Strong, witty heroine, a few hot guys, quickly developing but detailed plot. Despite the cover, which suggest a dark story with brooding characters, Dark Kiss is a light, fun read. Really!

Samantha is your ordinary girl next door until she gets kissed by this mysterious boy. The kiss changes her. Actually it... steals her soul. And now she's able to feed on other people's souls too. The whole city is in danger, soulless people are roaming the streets like zombies. The only one who can actually save the day is... Samantha. She decides to help Bishop, a boy she 'accidentally' finds when she walks home. And when it turns out that the boy is an angel, dangerous one on top of that, there's no returning.

What I think I loved the most about Dark Kiss were the characters. It happens definitely too often that I hate the main character. You have to agree with me that there's a tendency in YA books (especially paranormal) to make the heroine to be a supposedly strong protagonist when she is, in fact, nothing but a whiny, irritating damsel in distress, in need of saving her all the time. Fortunately, Samantha is not one of them. She can manage just fine on her own, she is witty and sarcastic but not to the point when you think it's fake. By the way, it amused me greatly when I got a bit angry that all the demons and angels in the team were boys, when Sam burst out that it's sexist. Seriously. Greta minds think alike.

Bishop and Kraven. An angel and demon. I liked both of them, although I have to admit Kraven and his inner demons (pun intended) were just a tad bit more interesting. There's plenty of back story to be explained about Bishop in the next books though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also liked Sam's best friend, Carly, and the rest of the angel/demon team, especially Zach. Even if we didn't get to know the team too well because of the constant action and the fact that the last member of the team was found just by the end of the book... I'm pretty sure there's more waiting for us.

As for the love story and what can possibly turn into a love triangle in the future - I am kind of anticipating it! If you read the book, you will see that this love triangle, if happens, can become something deeper, complicated, twisted, because of the connection between Bishop and Kraven. It reminded me of The Vampire Diaries (the tv show) a bit, back in the day when I loved that show. In Dark Kiss Sam has her eyes only for Bishop. But you never know.

Sure, there were plotholes. Sure, it's not a perfect book. But it's an intriguing start to what might be an awesome series, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Kiss.

05/05/2012 page 30
9.0% "I was a bit 'meh' about everything - cover, title, premise. But it's so enjoyable so far, love the voice of the MC!"
show 4 hidden updates…