Emily Butler's Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine

Mar 26, 12

Read in March, 2012

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine was the most difficult book I had to read this semester. I am sad to say that it was very painful for me to read due to a personal experience that I am facing. My cousin is currently being tested for mental illness that has not yet been diagnosed.
As a reader the whole subject of the book made me very uncomfortable. I think that if I was to read this book a little further in the future I would be able to relate to it on a different level. The way that the main character acts throughout the novel in regards to her life and they way she is unaffected makes to very nervous about the future with my cousin and I. I am sad to say that if I was in high school and required to read it and less mature I would have objected to reading this book at this time in my life. I am glad that I was able to experience this though for the first time as a reader. I hope that sometime in the near future I am able to reread this book and take a different perspective from it.
As a teacher I would not be able to teach this book in my classroom for a period of time but only due to my own personal experience. However I am happy that I did my good reads after our in class discussion of what to look for in a book that discusses disabilities.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.