Doc Opp's Reviews > Legacy of Kings

Legacy of Kings by C.S. Friedman

Mar 26, 12

I don't think I'm being fair to Friedman with this rating. Because, I'm sure if it was another author, or another series where I didn't have such high expectations, I would have thought this was a 4 star book. It's just... well... I've come to expect such great things from her in general, and this series in particular was so strong through the first books, that I was caught off guard by the rather mundane ending. This book was a perfectly adequate fantasy novel, but had none of the spark that makes Friedman's writing great.

The moral dilemmas she typically presents and which drove the first two books in the series were largely absent. The newly introduced characters were more achetypal than what I've come to expect. There were no insanely clever plot twists. And the ending was rather unsatisfying. What a brilliant world Friedman created - and to have the series end in a rather bland fashion leaves me unsatisfied.

I would still recommend the series. The basic conceit is both original, and one of the best out there. But be aware that it's ending doesn't live up to the build-up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy of Kings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Thing is, the ending that doesn't quite live up to the build-up is also an issue with the Coldfire Trilogy, which also left me with a sense of, "Oh, is that it?"