Lainy's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Mar 29, 12

Read from March 26 to 29, 2012

Blurb From Goodreads

This beautiful and sad first novel, recently adapted for a major motion picture, tells of a band of teenage sleuths who piece together the story of a twenty-year old family tragedy begun by the youngest daughter’s spectacular demise by self-defenstration, which inaugurates “the year of the suicides.”

My Review

Ugh I was so disappointed by this book! I thought we were going to get an in depth look at the girls lives, what happened to make them all do what they did and behave as they did but was left with just as many questions if not more by the time I got through it. The book tells from the point of view of kids they grew up with and always refers to "we would see them or we watched from outside" yet never said who the we were.

There was no depth to any of the characters, I felt no reasons or explanations for the way the parents were or even the girls. Why no-one stepped in, said anything, done anything. Why did the girls choose to involve the people they did and why in that way. Maybe there was some deep and hidden meaning to the book but I failed to see it.

I was bored for most of the book (intrigued before the first suicide but bored and annoyed thereafter), the chapter lengths varied as well, one was only say 12 or 14 pages long and another was over 80. Overall it dragged and didn't hold my interest and I found it a real chore to read and finish it so 1/5 for me. I'm not sure if I would read this author again, if I did it will be when this book is a distant memory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

03/28/2012 page 158
63.0% "for a wee thin book it is taking me ages to get through :/"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I liked the movie... kind of!

Lainy I have never seen it before and until this was bought for me I hadn't heard of the book, would be willing to watch it though.

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Don't be put off this author by this book. His book Middlesex is by far his best. Also, the movie of The Virgin Suicides is actually better than the book IMHO. Xx