Julia's Reviews > Rebel Heart

Rebel Heart by Moira Young

Mar 26, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult
Read from December 02 to 03, 2012

I love Moira Young. And I loved Blood Red Road. And I still really liked Rebel Heart, but it missed some of the same stubborn spark as its predecessor.

"...lies that lurk in the shadows of truth."

We start from Jack's perspective, and quickly move into Saba's. Its not hard to see the cost of what happened at the end of book one. Saba is ruins because of all the lives she's taken. Jack has found himself in trouble again. But the one think we can be sure of is that they still feel for each other.

Or can we?

"The longer I live, the more I see, the less I know fer sure.

Still a tremendous novel. I did feel more attached to Blood Red Road, but the first was was revolutionary and therefore quite hard to top.

A few notes...

1) I think one of the reasons the first was so powerful was because it was so tense, all the time, and this one didn't have as much of that (although it did have some).

2) The character dynamics in this novel are different from the last (progressive different, note regressive), and the characters have grown up a lot and were very changed by the climactic end of Blood Red Road.

3) The environment of this book is different. One thing I love about the Dust Lands series is the travel, and the experience of all these smaller towns, and the wild. You get more of that in this book.

3) Remember the stars? The Pathfinder seeks Saba and whether or not you choose to believe in the language of the stars, Saba does. And what is written is written, and you will be surprised to see what it says.

4) Saba is still stubborn but her demons have weakened her, showing a much more vulnerable side (which I loved), and I feel that her character especially, has evolved a lot.

5) Now to be super vague, there was something that I oh so hoped to happen but didn't, and I'm a little bummed. (view spoiler) BUT I understand why. So, I'll deal with it.

I can't wait to see what book three has in store; this certainly set up quite a pickle for Saba, and I just hope I get my happy ending (fingers crossed)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Heart.

Quotes Julia Liked

Moira Young
“All the time I’ve knowed you, Jack, you kept the door to that heart of yers locked up tight an the key hid away. Looks like she found it.
He says nothing. Molly waits. Then:
Keys ain’t her style, he says. She kicked the door down.”

Moira Young
“Whatever it is, I sure didn’t go lookin fer it.
You don’t hafta, she says. If it’s meant to be, it’ll find you. We like to think we’re in charge of our own lives, but we ain’t. Not really.”

Moira Young
“Don’t you dare walk away from this, Jack, don’t you dare, Molly says fiercely. Most people don’t ever feel what yer feeling. Be with her. An if it lasts one hour, one night, a week a month, it don’t matter. Be with her, burn with her, shine with her… fer whatever time’s given to you.”

Moira Young
“You couldn't find nobody more pig-headed if you tried, he says. An she's always thinkin she knows best, even when she don't, especially when she don't. She's prickly and stubborn an everythin you'd put at the bottom of a list if you was makin a... a list of that kind. Which I aint. I didn't.
But? says Molly.
But ohmigawd Molly, she shines so bright, he says. The fire of life burns so strong in her. I never realized till I met her... I bin cold my whole life, Moll.
I know, she says softly.
It's jest that... aw, hell. She thinks I'm a better man than I really am.
Well, yer a better man than you think you are.”

Moira Young
“Life ain't black an white. People ain't neether. Family, friends, lovers. It's all a lot more complicated. The longer I live, the more I see, the less I know fer sure. Especially when it comes to matters of the heart. So dry yer tears. Whoever he is, he won't be cryin over you. Men never do. That's the one thing I do know fer sure. Now, muck up them boots a bit.”

Moira Young
“He’ll banish the shadows. He’ll silence the whispers. An the wounds of my soul will heal.”

Moira Young
“The lies that lurk in the shadows of truth.”