Alicia's Reviews > Tomorrow, When the War Began

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: to-read, young-adult, dystopia-survival

I normally add the actual edition that I plan to read--the currently available U.S. Kindle edition if there is one. In this case, the cover of that edition is not at all attractive, and I am not putting it on my shelves. I'm just not. So even though I'll eventually read this on Kindle, I'm adding the paperback.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomorrow, When the War Began.

Damali I always go by the cover I like the best, and adjust the page count.

message 2: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia That's a good idea in theory. Unfortunately, my particular brand of OCD would not allow such a thing. I often add the Kindle version to Goodreads if it exists on Amazon and not here--just so I can add the proper edition to my shelves. Interesting, since my brand of OCD allows me to--nay, insists that I--leave my clothes all over the floor. But I find it best not to argue with the OCD except when severely necessary. 'Cause clearly, it is very logical.

Damali LOL! My way may not be logical, but it's more fun. I get to use my calculator to put the correct page number on my stat updates. :)

message 4: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Don't you read on a Kindle? If so, can't you just change your tracking to (edition-blind) percentage, so you don't have to use a calculator?

Damali There's no way to change it that I know of. Some books don't have page numbers and just a percentage. Or if I have a different version posted on GRs, sometimes it has different page numbers than the version I'm reading on Kindle. I have a Kindle Wifi -- maybe other Kindles have that feature...

message 6: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia When I do status updates, I am able to click the "page" link (in "page ___"), and that changes it to percentage tracking. This works for me regardless of edition, and it seems to stick in my Goodreads settings somewhere (with some exceptions). So I'm thinking that if it works for you, you could just enter your Kindle percentage into tracking for any edition after you've switched GR to percentage tracking.

. . . but then again, I'm not entirely sure we are talking about the same thing here. I may be misunderstanding you entirely. It happens. :P

message 7: by Damali (last edited Mar 26, 2012 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Damali Ahh, I was talking about on my Kindle.

I like to see my actual page numbers read on GRs though, not the percentage, so that's another reason why I've changed the edition.

We're both OCD, but about different things. :)

message 8: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Ah, just ignore me then. :P

message 9: by Desiree (new)

Desiree *chants* OCD OCD OCD. Wait, what? Lol.

I tend to do it more Alicia's way as well ie adding specific editions I have & % status updates. The only time I do actual page numbers is if I'm reading a physical copy and even then the # of pages can still be off by X amount.