Ami's Reviews > Central African Republic in Pictures

1909118
Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 26 to 27, 2012

It was the writing about colonization in this book that helped me compare to the writing in Nigeria in Pictures, and to think more deeply about the way it is written about even in modern books. Doeden describes the impacts of French governmental/resource control on the people and economy of Central African Republic (forced labor, violence, funneling of money to Europe), whereas the Nigeria book leaves you thinking the people wanted to escape British racist attitudes, perhaps as expressed by road-building, although I'm guessing there was more to it than that.

An interesting read about a nation that honestly, I had never heard of, as either the Oubangui-Chari Colony or modern Central African Republic. It's been so interesting to read about different nations and see how they compare and contrast with their neighbors. I'm beginning to get a real sense of the cultural/geographical overlaps (that are inevitable when places are carved up not by existing cultural/geographical regions, but the whim of foreign nations) and how the topography and people flow around the continent--for the first time, at age 30. A series like this is definitely going to be required reading in my homeschool.

If I had to make a major suggestion for improvement of the book, it would be: print the map(s) on the inside cover of the books! I keep referring back to it/them (there is one map of cities & one of topography, although I would prefer to see them combined) for the entirety of the book, which makes it annoying to have to try to find page 11 or whatever. Don't sci-fi/fantasy novels in imaginary settings do this all the time? Get a clue, Visual Geography Series! (But please, never ever start writing books about Middle Earth.)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Central African Republic in Pictures.