Amy Corwin's Reviews > The Corruptible

The Corruptible by Mark Mynheir

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: crime, mystery
Read in March, 2012

Well, I wrote one review for this and lost it when I hit the button to post, so I'm afraid this one probably won't be as good. But I really enjoyed this book, mostly because the main character Ray Quinn was just the kind of damaged character I most like. Ray was a homicide detective who was injured in the line of duty and forced to retire. He then became a private investigator and joined up with a young man who just wants to learn enough to join the police force.

Enter a Howard Hughes wannabe rich guy with a phobia about germs who hires Ray to recover some financial information that was stolen. Unfortunately, Ray soon finds that the guy who stole the data is dead and he has to solve the mystery to discover who might have the stolen information. I admit I found it endearing and funny when Ray fakes a sneeze when the rich guy aggravates him too much and makes the rich guy freak. And there were some elements, they aren't big enough to earn the title of "sub-plot" but they were really enjoyable because they reminded me of my husband. You know those spam emails that annoy all of us, where someone promises to give us millions if we will just give them our bank account number? Well, Ray gets one of those and starts jerking around the guy who sent the email. It's so funny. My husband is also good at doing that--I wish I was quick-witted enough to do such things, but...be that as it may, I really looked forward to Ray working on his emails.

The characters were warm and often funny and full of very human faults. While I figured out the mystery in advance, I really didn't care because I loved seeing how Ray pulled the pieces together and solved it.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book featuring Ray Quinn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corruptible.