Emily's Reviews > First Date

First Date by Krista McGee

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenges, contemporary, realistic, ya-fiction, faith-god-religion
Read in March, 2012

Why I picked it up: I needed a religious fiction for my reading challenge and a friend recommended this one. She said the main character reminded her of how I might have been at that age.

When Addy learns that she was chosen by her principal to represent her school in a reality TV program to win a date to prom with the president’s son, she is not pleased. Addy does not want the spotlight. She is happy with her quiet life and just wants to get good grades so she can go to an Ivy League college. The producer of the show thinks Addy is trying to steal the spotlight from the girls he wants to win because their families have paid him money. Addy doesn’t like being on the show, but she is convinced God has her there for a reason. And the president’s son is even better looking in person…

It was okay. Addy did remind me of myself as a teen, though without the God Having a Plan For Me in my case. There was a little too much “God put me here for a reason” for my taste, but as Christian fiction goes, it did not rub me the wrong way too much. I did like that Addy wasn’t perfect and her role models also were not perfect. In that vein, I really liked the journal entries from her mother’s journals from her missionary time that showed that she really doubted some of the things she was doing. Not all Christian fiction is willing to include doubts. I found it frustrating yet realistic that when Addy was kind to one of the other contestants, many of them thought she had ulterior motives. I loved Addy’s roommate Kara. Jonathan was a little too good to be true, but so are many fictitious teenage boys.

Genre Bingo: Religious Fiction
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Date.