Florence Millo's Reviews > The Wizard of Lies: Bernie Madoff and the Death of Trust

The Wizard of Lies by Diana B. Henriques

F_50x66
Apr 13, 12

Read from March 26 to April 12, 2012

For years I have been fascinated  by the Madoff ponzi scheme.  Kind of like not being able to look away from the train wreck.  I have read several books and many newspaper articles about it but this is by far the best.

Diana Henriques is a senior financial writer for the New York Times and has covered the story from the very beginning.  What I appreciate most in this book is that it puts this the biggest and longest running Ponzi scheme in history in context of the times and gives insight as to how so many, many people came to be taken in by Bernie Madoff.  While this book helps me understand the people who believed in him--his family, the people who worked with and for him, the people who trusted him with the savings of a lifetime--and were finally betrayed by him,  I am still completely unable to understand how someone could betray everyone, literally everyone in his
life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wizard of Lies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein You wrote ... I am still completely unable to understand how someone could betray everyone, literally everyone in his
life.

That is the crucial question. One would hope a biographer would try to deal with that issue in a central way. What allows a person to be a fraud and to continue in that behavior long after the consequences are clear? There is no adequate way to punish Madoff for the pain he has caused.

Stephen Embry Something to do with lots of money!