Josh's Reviews > The Mote in God's Eye

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, aliens, first-contact, favorites
Read in January, 2010

The Mote in God’s Eye, set far in the future, tells the tale of humanity’s first contact with an alien species. Despite being first published in 1974, the science holds up fairly well. There are a few funny oddities that show the story’s age, such as the mention of “microwave ovens” and “pocket computers” as if we would be shocked by their ubiquity, but these are rare. However, in this tale, the science isn’t the star of the show. Rather, it’s the nature of humanity and how that nature compares to the Moties who represent a unqiue threat.

The characters, while not of any great depth, are passable for sci-fi. Some reviewers may complain about this but, as an avid sci-fi reader, I have seen much worse. I never really developed any strong attachment to the characters, but I did get to know them well enough to keep the story engaging.

This is a moderately paced story with some parts moving rather quickly and others trudging along. There are a handful of dull portions, mostly involving Empire politics or background exposition, but just when I started feeling bored, the story picked up. The plot, while sometimes predictable, still leaves enough mystery to keep you reading. The story is long, perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be. For example, I think Horace Bury’s character added nothing to the story and could have been cut entirely.

Overall, I’d say this is a great read. It isn’t the best first contact story, and it isn’t the best sci-fi novel ever written, but it’s fun, engaging, and memorable.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mote in God's Eye.